Awhile ago, I downloaded instructions linked to pattern on Ravelry by Betty Balcomb on how to do a Short-Tail Long-Tail Cast On. The directions have since disappeared from Rav so here's a quick recap of how to do it.
- From the same skein (or one each from two identical skeins), take the two ends of yarn and tie them in a slip knot with about a five inch tail on both.
- Insert your needle in the loop created by the slip knot.
- Proceed with a Long Tail Cast On (see below).
- When you get the desired number of stitches, break the yarn from the end you won't be knitting from.
- Smile because you had just the right amount of yarn.
By the way, here are some links to great sites to learn how to do the traditional Long Tail Cast On.
Little Bit giving me her typical pose
right before her ballet recital.