I never did finish Taylor's baby blanket. Probably because it couldn't be as pretty and nice as the one I'm working on for Baby Fitzgibbons. This blanket, beautifully made, simply designed, and generously distributed for free by Alicia Paulson is called the Tiramisu Blanket. When I saw this, I knew it was perfect for Terry and James and their soon to arrive little boy.
Although it's a very easy pattern, it has been a challenge for this inexperienced crocheter. This is by no means a reflection on the author of the pattern, simply my impatience, lack of focus and inexperience.
My first problem, that I didn't notice until I finished the body, is that I chain on very tight. Not a good thing when I went around the blanket with the single crochet required for the first row of the trim.
My second problem, I discovered I cannot crochet a repetitive stitch and watch TV, listen to music, talk to my hubby or think about anything other than crocheting.
Which led to my third problem and why I had to start over numerous times. I'm not good enough to not count my stitches in a row. 1/3 of the way up the second time, I took a couple minutes and counted the stitches and discovered I'd somehow added a few here and there and my square blanket was looking more like a trapezoid.
My fourth problem, I don't know enough about crocheting to be modifying a pattern. At least, not on one I am on a tight schedule to complete as a gift. Frogging takes time and I've spent my share doing that. But, I'm not giving up. I really like the look of one of the completed blankets with 8 rows of SS around the trim. I'm just trying to figure out many SS's go in the corners each row.
I did do something right, right off the bat. I read other reader's posts and carefully checked my gauge, increased my hook size to size K USA and it appears to have worked well.
Now I just have to finish the trim, wash it, block it and add the ribbon!